Friday, August 21, 2009

Debt collectors don't have an easy job!


I could put this on my IT blog because that’s where I talk about the job market, but debt collection is related to identity security, so I’ll put it here. Today, AOL posted a “Career Builder” page “Confessions of a debt collector” which follows a 10 year old book “Beat the Bill Collector” by Max Edison.

The link is here.

I worked for a collection agency for a while in 2003 while still in Minnesota, and the quota was much less than $300000. But they are right about the FDCPA, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Ethical companies do require collectors to follow it, and employees are monitored randomly by managers.

Good collectors are gentle with the customers, and focus on contacting customers who really want help with clearing up debt. Good collectors know that there are enough customers who do want help that they don’t need to harass those who don’t.

No comments: