Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Things a debt collector won't tell you (I didn't either when i worked as a collector)

Here’s a cute story from the October 2011 Reader’s Digest, “13 Things a Debt Collector Won’t Tell You”, by Michelle Crouch, link here.

I worked as a debt collector in Minnesota for a while in 2003, and I did not like the idea of “fooling” people by not telling them things they have the right to do, especially now when I have gotten deeper into publishing stories as a “journalist”.

The tip about the possibility of expiration is interesting, and how it gets restarted if you acknowledge the debt again. Also provocative is the idea of telling people to borrow money from family or friends.  I didn’t do that, but I did take other credit cards.

It’s true, a manager will not help you, as she says. 

No comments: