Friday, January 11, 2013

Whatr? Use my discount card for somebody else's cigarettes?


Today, as I stood second in line at a Rite-Aid store at the cash register, the clerk asked me for my “wellness card” so that the customer in line ahead of me could get a discount for a cigarette purchase.

No, I don’t think I’m at serious risk of identity theft from the incident.  But it’s wrong to ask one person to participate in another’s purchase of a product (however legal) that he does not approve of.  And now, that purchase is on my “record”.  I don’t think it is likely to be abused, but the idea that there is an electronic record of a cigarette purchase by me that did not happen is disturbing.

I suppose the CVS automatic checkout lines have a lot to say for themselves (although sometimes they don’t work).

Oh, yes, men, cigarette smoking can make you go bald on the legs. The "wellness" here sounds like an oxymoron. 

No comments: