Saturday, June 01, 2013

Ten years ago, I started my own stint as a debt collector

About ten years ago, I started a two-month stint working as a debt collector for RMA (Risk Management Associates), near the Minneapolis-St Paul airport.  In August, 2003, I would return and come back to northern Virginia for family reasons.

I started the day after Memorial Day. The first day was “just” seven hours and started with training, that lasted a week.  On the second day, we had a quiz, on which we had to make 100% before we were admitted to the floor.  On the fourth day, we started practice collections.

I actually entered the floor (quite expansive and a real sight)  the following Monday, and worked on the ATT account, on small balance debtors.   The whole experience is still fresh in my mind. It was advantageous to be located in the Midwest, in central time zone.  We rotated shifts, sometimes going until 8 PM at night. 

I recall someone who told me her life went downhill after 9/11, as if we wouldn’t know what that was.  Another wanted me to pay his $65 debt personally!
  

The job was to create “urgency”, to settle by with check-by-phone, or Western Union.  It seems passé now. 

In early 2004, I applied for an was turned down for a job as a collector for a company run by a law firm in Rockville (and Frederick) MD.  It would have meant a long commute.   

No comments: