Monday, October 06, 2014

A debt collector's tale in the New York Times: mine was not as melodramatic


Jack Halpern has a column in the Sunday New York Times “A Debt Collector’s Day”. P. 7 of the Review Section, with the tagline “Poo people pitted against poorer people to benefit the rich”, link here.  I’m not sure that I would concur with his narrative given my experience working for RMA near St. Paul MN (near the airport and Mendotta Bridge) in the summer of 2003.  We actually followed the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and took it seriously.  Companies that buy debt for pennies on the dollar seem to be more ruthless, and expect their employees to be.  I had an experience with such a company that made a questionable claim on a visa card that had gotten lost in a move, and never gave me a chance to dispute, back in 2000.  There’s a book on the subject that I mentioned here Nov. 6, 2013. 
  
   
If you get a call from a debt collector, know your rights.


No comments: