Tuesday, November 25, 2014

What should I make of an unsolicited line of credit arriving by mail?


Despite some chaos yesterday on the major media, I guess first priority in these blogs is to cover the news I myself witness. Yesterday, for the second week in a row, I received, at my business UPS mail box, an unsolicited Platinum Equipment Lease Card from IMCA Capital in Los Angeles (link) .  Each card offers $100,000 credit.
   
IMCA explains how this works on Wordpress, here.  I’ll let the explanation speak for itself.  It is possible to contact them to delay the credit offer;  I haven’t called yet.
  
I'm not sure why I was "chosen" (rather than "left behind" or "left over").  I suppose that if I get closer to making a film, there would be a case for leasing larger professional cameras and trolleys.  I'm not there yet. 
    
Still, the idea of receiving an unsolicited line of credit (it is not a credit or debit card and did not cause a credit report inquiry) is troubling.  There is the possibility of fraud (the instructions say to call to activate the card immediately for this reason, but should this be done with unsolicited material?) Worse, there could exist the idea that someone could use an account like this for a blatantly unlawful purpose, resulting in the person who is named being framed.
  
However, the company did mail the offering to a known address, which is an identity-theft prevention concept I proposed here Sept. 25, 2006.  

No comments: