Tuesday, June 20, 2017

What about debts after death? Can deceased people's identities be stolen?


Do you need to “worry” about your debt after you pass away?  Well, you can’t do anything about it.
     
Here’s an AOL article on the issue. 

Apparently your unsecured debt disappears with you.

But in most cases, the money can be tied to an estate that has to be paid off.  When my Mother passed, I immediately paid the remaining caregiving bills.  I canceled her social security, and one payment was taken back.  I had a credit card in her name.  I paid the bills on it, and kept using it for house (trust expenses) until the bank called and said it had to cancel the card.  I did pay the final bill ($900).  I had thought I could use it until distribution (there was no probate since there was a trust).  

 The bank feared I could simply not pay, I suppose, but I did pay it off in full.


Sometimes some of my mother’s accounts have shown up on my own credit report, which is incorrect.  I’m planning to pull detailed reports on myself soon because of the possibility, at least, of relocation.

But I wonder what could happen if a criminal “reincarnated her identity” to create a fictitious person for identity theft.  Not too easy with an unusual last name, and I would think lenders could check to make sure she wasn’t deceased. 

No comments: